Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Laois

22 October 2011

1830s – Church, Rathdowney, Co. Laois

Replaced by an unremarkable exercise in 1950s Romaneque sited on the then edge of town. This church was pulled down and the site is still a surface carpark.

23 March 2011

1802 – Design for house, Co. Laois

Architect: Richard Morrison A design published in “A collection of designs for rural retreats” by James Malton, with two elevational treatments. Annotated as to be built in “Queen’s County”, there are no records...

21 October 2010

1830 – Prison, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: William Deane Butler Now obscured by more modern security measures, Portlaoise (formerly Maryborough) Prison had a magnificent entrance gateway worthy of a Norman castle.

24 August 2010

1790 – Emo Court, Co. Laois

Architect: James Gandon, William Caldbeck Designed by the architect James Gandon in 1790 for John Dawson, the first Earl of Portarlington, the house took many years and architects to complete. It was around...

01 March 2010

2009 – Abbeyleix Library, Co. Laois

Architect: deBlacam & Meagher Historically there are four phases of development of the Market House, the original retangular plan with a small central capola on the ridge, the 1890′s re-construction in a rural...

06 January 2010

1909 – Bank of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.P. Wren A wonderfully eccentric design for the Hibernian Bank which mixes a myriad of architectural features. The small tower with corner window and copper dome is the entrance to the manager’s...

06 January 2010

1906 – Market House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Unusual market house from the early twentieth century in a curious hybrid of styles. Shown prior to its conversion to a library by deBlacam & Meagher Architects.

06 January 2010

1895 – Church, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: William Hague Designed by prominent church architect William Hague, this church of 1896 is attached to an earlier convent. A cruciform plan, the tower and spire is attached to the southern transept,...

06 January 2010

1860 – de Vesci Memorial, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.S. Butler A robust and rustic obelisk in the middle of the market square dedicated to the 2nd Viscount de Vesci.