Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Limerick

02 February 2015

1865 – High Altar of St Alphonsus Liguori, Limerick

Architect: George Goldie High altar and reredos, designed by George Goldie, in church previously constructed to the designs of Philip Hardwick.

02 February 2015

1788 – Unbuilt Design for Theatre, Limerick

Architect: James Lewis In the second volume of his Original Designs in Architecture, published in 1797, James Lewis included several designs for buildings in Ireland including this proposed theatre, ‘to be erected on...

27 January 2015

1835 – Sarsfield Bridge, Limerick

Architect: Alexander Nimmo When completed in 1835 after 11 years of construction, it was named Wellesley Bridge. The Limerick Bridge Commissioners were incorporated for the purpose of erecting the bridge and a floating...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

04 May 2014

15th C. – Castle Matrix, Rathkeale, Co. Limerick

The castle was built as a fortress during the early 1400s by the 7th Earl of Desmond. In the early 1600’s the castle was granted to the Southwell family who converted it to...

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

25 March 2014

1871 – Design for Church of Ireland, Caherconlish, Co. Limerick

Architect: E.H. Carson Not constructed as illustrated – the church as built was a single-cell structure with porch and vestry – both of which have decorative doorways. Instead of a tower, a simple...

07 March 2014

1874 – Todd’s Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William S. Cox Todd’s was a Limerick landmark with a stately interior, long and wide mahogany counters, and an all-round balcony with cast-iron ornamental railings. The store was founded by William Todd...

27 February 2014

1905 – Shannon Rowing Club, Limerick

Architect: William Clifford Smith An architectural competition held in 1902 resulted in a commission for a young English architect, William Clifford Smith to design the club. Completed in 1905 at a cost of...