Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Limerick

23 May 2012

1770c – Attyflin House, Patrickswell, Co. Limerick

A two storey mid 18th century house with a five bay centrak block. The two 2-bay wings are early 19th century additions. A fine Gibbsian door surround graces the main front.

22 May 2012

1800s – Clonshavoy House, Co. Limerick

The Irish Tourist Association surveyor writes in 1944 that the house was interesting as it was the remains of a very old Elizabethan house. He says that more than half the house was...

02 May 2012

1315 – Augustinian Abbey, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Earl of Kildare founded the Augustinian friary at Adare, County Limerick in 1315. Religious activities continued for about 200 years, until the community was suppressed in the mid-16th century. The church is...

02 May 2012

1464 – Franciscan Abbey, Adare, Co. Limerick

Now a fine ruin in the grounds of the Adare Manor Golf Club, the Franciscan Friary was founded in 1464 by Thomas, Earl of Kildare.

02 May 2012

1811 – Black Abbey Church, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Trinitarian Order established their only monastery in Ireland in Adare in 1230. Ruined for many years, the Abbey was restored in 1811 by the first Earl of Dunraven as the Catholic Parish...

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

09 April 2012

1837 – Mont de Piété, Limerick

Architect: William O’Hara Designed as a pawn service for the poor of Limerick by Matthew Barrington, who also founded the hospital alongside, many details of this building are uncertain. It is assumed that...

04 March 2012

1702 – The Exchange, Limerick

Architect: The Limerick City Exchange was built in 1673, close to St. Mary’s Cathedral to house the city’s covered market and council chamber. In 1702 the Exchange was demolished and replaced by a...

26 February 2012

1841 – Limerick Union Workhouse

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed to replace the city`s overcrowded poorhouase, the new workhouse of 1841 was designed by George Wilkinson on an 11-acre site to the north-west of the city. Intended to hold...