Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Limerick

13 December 2011

1856 – Protestant Orphan Society Hall, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Published in The Builder, January 19, 1856. Two storey collegiate gothic orphanage now converted into offices. Original windows have been replaced with ugly uPVC versions.

05 November 2011

1932 – St. Mary’s Church, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman New church constructed on site of church of 1749. The Altar rails (1931) and Lady Altar (1931) were supplied by Giorgio Favilla.

05 November 2011

1760s – Devon Castle, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick

The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son Peirce Mahony in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that...

28 May 2011

1904 – Unbuilt Design for St. Joseph’s Church, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the amount of money available, Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian portico to the front, as well as an...

22 May 2011

1790s – Mount Coote, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Fine Georgian residence of three storeys with single storey wings. Demolished in the late 1950s and replaced with a georgian-style house. Photograph from the Irish Tourist Association Survey 1943-44.

04 May 2011

1860s – McBirney & Co., Limerick

McBirney’s Drapery Emporium which was taken over by Roches Stores in the 1940’s, but was burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1948

02 May 2011

1836 – Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Architect: James & George Pain The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836, replacing the earlier bridge which was also alongside King John’s Castle. The architect James Pain had surveyed the earlier medieval...

28 April 2011

2009 – Civic Building, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: ABK Architects The 1630m2 project for the town of Kilmallock proposes to reinvigorate the social and cultural life of the town, concentrating a series of key social functions to generate a new...

16 February 2011

1889 – SS. Peter & Paul Church, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th, but not completed until 1889 after the architect’s death. Simple...