Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

07 January 2010

1876 – Bank of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Sandham Symes A fine and vigorous building by Sandham Symes who also designed a fine branch for the same bank in Kilkenny. Designed in an Italianate style, the five bay, two storey...

07 January 2010

1896 – Firstactive Bank, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architects: Walter G. Doolin Originally built as a branch of the Munster and Leinster Bank, this building by Walter G. Doolinis a hybrid of styles. The ground floor has an arcade of tall...

07 January 2010

1867 – St. Peter’s Glebe House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Sited within the grounds of St Peter’s, this Glebe house is of two periods. To the rear is a three storey building with a pediment dated 1759. The part of the house shown,...

07 January 2010

1866 – Augustinian Friary, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Michael Moran Unfinished, the Augustinian church should have received a spire, a stumpy tower to the right of the main façade was all that was completed. The exterior is finished in a...

07 January 2010

1875 – Former Convent, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This attractive former convent and school displays varied decorative detailing from the elegant dog-tooth mouldings to the more robust rock-faced plinth. This decoration together with the contrasting brick and stone construction make this...

07 January 2010

1865 – Whitworth Hall, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Barre Built by Benjamin Whitworth for the benefit of the citizens of Drogheda, this vigourous composition in Lombardo-Romanesque is a good contribution to the street-scape. It cost over 4,000 pounds at...

07 January 2010

1860 – AXA Insurance, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William G. Murray The former Provincial Bank is built of Limestone ashlar with an elaborate façade at street-level. The ground floor façade has paired polished granite columns with lush foliage capitals. Above...

07 January 2010

1855 – Railway Viaduct, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Evans & James Barton Built between 1851 and 1855, the Drogheda Railway Viaduct is an impressive feat of engineering – equally impressive from a train as from down below. Until the...

07 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Papworth A fine little railway station that was the end of the line before construction of the viaduct. Extended in recent years to serve the increasing Dublin commuter market, the station...