Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

07 January 2010

1830 – Merchant’s Quay, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This handsome former corn and flour mill displays the balanced proportions and fine detailing typical of nineteenth century architectural developments.

07 January 2010

1829 – Former Franciscan Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

No trace of the medieval Franciscan Friary of Drogheda survives. In 1798 the Franciscans moved to the present site in Laurence Street. In 1829 work began on a new church, which was opened...

07 January 2010

1827 – Presbyterian Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Austin Nicholls Unusually built in a Gothic Revival style (Presbyterians tended to favour classical designs at this time), and like most public buildings and churches in Drogheda, it is faced with limestone...

07 January 2010

1816 – St John’s Home, Drogheda, Co. Louth

St John’s Home is made of two ranges of buildings. Each building contains two houses of three bays and two storeys. The buildings are linked by a screen wall. The gables of the...

07 January 2010

1811 – Former Wesleyan Methodist Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

An unusual church built in 1811 and further renovated in 1911. A simple rectangular building with a three bay classical façade. The simplicity of this façade has ornate pointed windows with sandstone tracery,...

07 January 2010

1807 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A simple First Fruits church from 1807, with a three bay nave with pointed windows with Y tracery. It has a rectangular sanctuary at the eastern end. The tower is of three stages...

07 January 2010

1796 – The Corn Exchange, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Francis Johnston Originally designed by Francis Johnston who lived in Drogheda from 1786 to 1793 while working on a commission from Primate Robinson. This building today houses Drogheda’s council offices. It is...

07 January 2010

1770 – Tholsel, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Darley / W.H. Byrne Used for over one hundred years as a bank branch, the Tholsel is a stern and forbidding building in appearance. It is a tall and narrow building,...

07 January 2010

1765 – Mayoralty House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley An important civic building at the time of its construction, the Mayoralty House has been in use as a commercial premises for decades. Built of limestone ashlar with trimmings of...