Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

07 January 2010

1770 – Tholsel, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Darley / W.H. Byrne Used for over one hundred years as a bank branch, the Tholsel is a stern and forbidding building in appearance. It is a tall and narrow building,...

07 January 2010

1765 – Mayoralty House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley An important civic building at the time of its construction, the Mayoralty House has been in use as a commercial premises for decades. Built of limestone ashlar with trimmings of...

07 January 2010

18th C. – Nos. 23-24 St Lawrence Street, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Fine pair of mid eighteenth century houses. Recently cleaned and restored, the buildings lack their original glazing bars. The gable end to No. 24 to Palace Street is of rubble stone.

07 January 2010

1752 – St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley Built on the site of an earlier church, St Peters is a fabulous example of a Georgian church. It has been described as “probably the finest provincial Georgian church in...

07 January 2010

1740 – The Alleys, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Behind St Peter’s Church of Ireland are these attractive houses built as a refuge for widows of clergy. There are four terraces of houses, each house of four bays and two storeys. The...

07 January 2010

1734 – Barlow House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Richard Cassels or Francis Bindon A fine mid eighteenth century built by Alderman James Barlow. With five bays on three floors and a basement, it is a substantial Georgian residence. It has...

07 January 2010

1280c – St Laurence Gate, Drogheda, Co. Louth

St. Laurence Gate is a well preserved example of a 13th Century Barbican. Named after the ancient priory of St. Laurence which stood outside the Gate on the site of the Cord Cemetery....

07 January 2010

1334 – Town Walls, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The walled area of medieval Drogheda enclosed 113 acres making it one of the largest walled towns in medieval Ireland. The walls were completed in 1334. It was comparable in size to Dublin,...

07 January 2010

1224 – Dominican Friary, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The Magdalene Tower was the belfry tower of the once extensive Dominican Friary founded here about 1224 by Lucas de Netterville, Archbishop of Armagh. The tower itself is of 14th Century construction and...