Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

06 January 2010

1858 – No.70 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Built by Nicholas Martin & Company as a wine store known as the ‘Wine Vaults’, the building originally featured an impressive rusticated ground floor shopfront in the style of the...

06 January 2010

1867 – Dominican Church and Friary, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Both the church and the priory were designed by local architect John Murray. Originally the church was intended to have a tall spire to dominate the composition but it was...

06 January 2010

1894 – Clarke Station, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: William H. Mills Built to replace a station originally designed by Sir John MacNeil around 1850, Clarke Station is situated at track level beneath the surrounding street level and is the finest...

06 January 2010

1860 – Church of St Nicholas, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Small Roman Catholic church on an important site in the town but sadly lacking any sort of impressive presence. The church was originally built with an unusual tall slender steeple...

06 January 2010

1859 – Town Hall, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Built in 1859 for the Corn Exchange Company, but the cost of building it put the company into liquidation and so the Town Commissioners bought it for 4,000 pounds. The...

06 January 2010

1903 – St. Patrick’s Church, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Duff / J.J. McCarthy / G.C. Ashlin Designed by Thomas Duff on the model of King’s College Chapel, Cambridge. As at Armagh Cathedral, Duff died before completion and the interior was...

06 January 2010

1853 – Garda Station, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Designed as the County Gaol by John Neville, and now in use as the town’s Garda Station. This is a fine if overblown piece of architecture. Neville was the County...

06 January 2010

1845 – No.16 Park Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: George Halpin / Millar & Symes Designed for the Bank of Ireland by George Halpin, this building was remodelled for Millar and Symes in the first part of the twentieth century. Banded...

06 January 2010

1834 – Former Louth Hospital, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Smith Designed by English architect Thomas Smith who came to work in County Louth in the early to mid 19th century. Now in use as extra accommodation for the nearby Grammar...