Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

06 January 2010

1819 – Courthouse, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Edward Parke Designed by Edward Park and supposedly based on the portico design and dimensions of the Temple of Theseus in Athens, Dundalk Courthouse is a fabulous classical revival building. Its main...

06 January 2010

1815 – Philipstown Mill, Dundalk, Co. Louth

In 1815 James Kieran and his brother William built Philipstown Mills, approximately three miles from Dundalk at a cost of £30,000 – £40,000. These extensive watermills took advantage of the adjacent Castletown River....

06 January 2010

1260s – Castle Roche, Co. Louth

Castle Roche is one of the lesser known but more dramatic Norman Castles in Ireland. Sited on a rocky hilltop, the castle controlled a pass into Armagh. The castle is believed to have...

06 January 2010

1935 – Courthouse, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Unusual little courthouse with Art Deco pretensions, particularly in the gateways and railings.

06 January 2010

1925 – St. Michael’s Hall, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Small parish hall whose architectural detail is a simple stripped Italianate classicism executed in render.

06 January 2010

1869 – Presbyterian Church, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Young Simple little Gothic Revival Presbyterian Church in a combination of limestone and granite masonry, with lancet windows and an unusual filial on the apex of the facade.

06 January 2010

1800 – Abbeyview House, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Fine house, sympathetically extended around 1900, with ornate central doorway and large window openings. The door surround is particularly notable and offers a focal point to the façade.

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...

06 January 2010

14th C. Dominican Friary, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Dominicans were established in Carlingford in 1305 with the friary being dedicated to St. Malachy. Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII it became the centre of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans...