Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Louth

06 January 2010

1450 – The Tholsel, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Tholsel or town-gate is the only remaining example of its nature in Carlingford and one of the few left in Ireland. Originally three stories high – the present appearance is due to...

06 January 2010

16th C. – Taffee’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

A sizable fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. It’s close proximity to the harbour would suggest that trade was conducted from...

06 January 2010

1430c – The Mint, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Essentially a fortified three storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the right to mint coinage was granted to Carlingford in 1467 it is unlikely...

06 January 2010

1200 – King John’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Known as King John’s Castle because it was allegedly founded by King John who stayed here briefly in 1210, the castle was more likely founded by Hugh de Lacy some years before. The...

06 January 2010

10th C. – West Cross, Monasterboice, Co. Louth

The so-called west cross stands near the base of the round tower. Not as celebrated as the south cross, it is around 7 metres high but some of its panels are illegible and...

06 January 2010

980c – Round Tower, Monasterboice, Co. Louth

The round tower of the abbey founded in the 10th century is still standing although without its cap (conical roof). Even so, it is over eighty feet tall. Burned in 1097 when it...

06 January 2010

1142 – Mellifont Abbey, Co. Louth

Mellifont was the first Cistercian monastery to be established in Ireland. Founded in 1142 by St. Malachy, the monastery was consecrated in 1157 at a great national synod attended by seventeen bishops and...

06 January 2010

1858 – Knockabbey Castle, Louth, Co. Louth

Architect: William Caldbeck When it was first built in 1399, it was called Thomastown Castle and consisted only of a towerhouse. Reflecting their prestige and position, the Bellews, who had lived here since...

06 January 2010

1180c. – St. Mochta’s House, Louth, Co. Louth

St Mochta was a disciple of St Patrick, who established his abbey in Louth around 528, and also built an this stone house nearby, named Mochta’s House. The Abbey lasted through the centuries...