Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Mayo

25 March 2014

1898 – Humbert Monument, Ballina, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Denning The Centenary memorial, the Humbert Monument, was dedicated on 11 May 1898 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the French landing at Killala in support of the Irish Rebellion of...

21 March 2014

1875 – Creagh, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Creagh House was built by Colonel Knox in 1875, ‘beautiful manor house to the right of the French chateau lately occupied by his predecessor’ when the footprint of the...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...

14 March 2014

1777 – Brabazon Park House, Swinford, Co. Mayo

Swinford was established in the late 1700s by the Brabazon family. Originally from Leicestershire in England and had been living on their estate near Ballinasloe in County Galway until they were dispossessed during...

14 March 2014

1845 – Glendinning Monument, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Charles William Papworth Erected as a testimonial to George Glendenning JP (1770-1843), Agent of the Bank of Ireland (appointed 1826). Substantially damaged during “The Troubles” (1919-23) by Free State troops billeted in...

09 July 2013

1872 – Holy Trinity Church, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Fine Church of Ireland on site provided by 3rd Marquess of Sligo who also provided £1200 towards cost of erection, replacing church of 1797 on different site. Completed and...

07 February 2013

1915 – Railway Terminus, Blacksod Bay, Co. Mayo

Architect: Hoare & Wheeler Unbuilt proposal for a large railway terminus to serve a trans-atlantic liner terminal that would have seen Liverpool ousted not just as the transatlantic departure point for British passenger...

17 October 2012

1811 – Castlemacgarrett House, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

After the house of 1694 was destroyed in a fire in 1811, part of the current house was constructed. It was later extended in 1907 by Richard Orpen. There were unexecuted designs from...

06 October 2012

1750c – Claremount, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

Built in the 18th century, this house was the home of George Browne, third son of the 1st Earl of Altamont, in the 1760s. His daughter and heiress married Dominick Browne of Castlemagarret...

Pages:1234Next »