Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Mayo

09 July 2013

1872 – Holy Trinity Church, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Fine Church of Ireland on site provided by 3rd Marquess of Sligo who also provided £1200 towards cost of erection, replacing church of 1797 on different site. Completed and...

07 February 2013

1915 – Railway Terminus, Blacksod Bay, Co. Mayo

Architect: Hoare & Wheeler Unbuilt proposal for a large railway terminus to serve a trans-atlantic liner terminal that would have seen Liverpool ousted not just as the transatlantic departure point for British passenger...

17 October 2012

1811 – Castlemacgarrett House, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

After the house of 1694 was destroyed in a fire in 1811, part of the current house was constructed. It was later extended in 1907 by Richard Orpen. There were unexecuted designs from...

06 October 2012

1750c – Claremount, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

Built in the 18th century, this house was the home of George Browne, third son of the 1st Earl of Altamont, in the 1760s. His daughter and heiress married Dominick Browne of Castlemagarret...

06 October 2012

1785 – Moore Hall, Co. Mayo

Architect: John Roberts Also known as Moorehall, the house was constructed between 1792 and 1795. The Moores were originally an English Protestant family but some became Catholic when John Moore married the Catholic...

27 May 2012

1265 – Augustinian Abbey, Ballintubber, Co. Mayo

A monastery was founded here for the Augustinians in 1216, but was largely rebuilt in 1265 after a fire. Dissolved in 1542, the Augustinians returned in 1635 before Cromwellian forces destroyed much of...

25 March 2012

1838 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballindine, Co. Mayo

A traditional cruciform churh with nave, transepts and chancel. The statue-topped pinnacles and bell-cote were removed in the early 1950s during a renovation of the building. The sanctuary was re-ordered in 1994.

27 January 2012

1250c – Strade Abbey, Co.Mayo

Originally a site of a Franciscan Friary, it was transferred to the Dominicans in 1252. Parts of the building date from the mid 13th century, although a good portion appears to be 15th...

27 September 2011

9th Century Round Tower at Turlough, Co. Mayo

A well preserved round tower, now a National Monument. Not as tall as other examples, it has a round headed doorway, and flat and gable headed windows. The church alongside is 18th century...

Skip to toolbar