Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Mayo

25 March 2011

1909 – Town Hall, Swinford, Co. Mayo

Architect: Joseph Cairns Simple, almost domestic townhall for Swinford. Reported in the Tuam Herald, “Mr. Cairns, C.E., has been entrusted with the preparation of plan and specification for a Town Hall in Swinford,...

20 March 2010

1838 – Cranmore House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Built in 1838 by Alexander Glendenning Lambert, who was an agent for the Knox family, and had connections with the Glendenning Banking Family. The roof was removed in the 1950s to avoid taxes...

30 December 2009

1967 – Our Lady Queen of Ireland Basilica, Knock, Mayo

Architect: Daithi Hanly Famous for designing structures by the acre, Daithi Hanly was formally the Dublin City architect. At Knock he designed this large basilica that can accommodate 10,000.

30 December 2009

1800c – Church of St. John the Baptist, Knock, Co. Mayo

Knock’s notability derives from the Apparition of 1879, when, at 8.00PM on 21 August, it was reported that the Virgin Mary, together with St Joseph and St John the Evangelist, appeared to local...

30 December 2009

1881 – Ashford Castle, Cong, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller The architecture of Ashford Castle dates from several eras. The oldest section is a 13th-century Norman castle that once belonged to the de Burgh family. A house styled like a...

30 December 2009

1550c – Rockfleet Castle, Newport, Co. Mayo

Rockfleet Castle or Carraigahowley Castle (Carraig-an-Cabhlaigh), is a tower house near Newport. It was built in the mid 16th century, and is most famously associated with the legendary Grainne ni Mhaille, Grace O’Malley,...

30 December 2009

1469 – Burrishoole Abbey, Newport, Co. Mayo

Burrishoole Abbey was founded in 1469 by Sir Richard De Burgo. Set against the tranquil backdrop of Clew Bay, this Dominican Abbey was active for three hundred years and featured prominently in the...

30 October 2009

1992 – Apparition Chapel, Knock, Mayo

Architect: A & D Wejchert The Apparition Chapel is designed to seat 150 people and to house the tableau depicting the apparition of Our Lady at Knock on 21st August 1879.

30 October 2009

1989 – Reconciliation Chapel, Knock, Co. Mayo

Architect: de Blacam & Meagher The Chapel of Reconciliation was the award winning entry of an architectural competition held in the autumn of 1989. The client’s brief required “that the new chapel must...