Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Monaghan

17 February 2015

1861 – St. Mary’s Church, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Hughes Probably designed by James Hughes, of Charlemont, Co Armagh who died in 1875. The Builder of 7 August 1875 notes that ‘the deceased was an architect of ability’ with ‘several...

17 February 2015

1600s – Blayney Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

The area of Muckno and Ballynalurgan was granted to Sir Edward Blayney under the Plantation of Ulster in 1607 and 1611. Blayney was a Welsh soldier, and built a stone defensive castle, Blayney...

23 January 2015

1900 – The Fountain, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Memorial fountain to Queen Victoria, manufactured by a Glaswegian firm, Walter McFarland & Co., in the hundreds for locations throughout the British Empire. Demolished in a traffic accident and never repaired. A similar...

03 April 2014

2013 – Garage Theatre, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Oppermann Associates & Hawkins Brown Architects Built as part of a new education campus, the Garage Theatre is a modern uncompromising building with large picture windows to provide views across the surrounding...

18 February 2014

1830 – Ballybay House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John B. Keane Ballybay House, residence of Edward John Henry Leslie C.M.G., M.V.O; (1890-1966), British Ambassador to Rome, which was destroyed by the IRA on 2nd June 1921. It was two storeys...

18 February 2014

1814 – Newbliss House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

An early 19th century house of two storeys with a five bay main front. The enclosed porch features two Ionic columns. Owned by the Ker family who largely developed the village of Newbliss,...

18 February 2014

1780s – Camla Vale, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

After World War II, when nearby Rossmore Castle developed a severe case of dry rot, the 6th Lord Rossmore and his family were forced to leave the castle and take up residence in...

27 November 2013

1930 – Former Royal Bank of Ireland, Dublin St., Monaghan

Architect: Bradbury & Evans Former branch of the Royal Bank of Ireland, and now in use as a Town Hall for Monaghan. The rendered building has an elegant cut-stone door surround to the...

27 August 2013

1844 – Design for Market House, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler Design for Market House for Clones. Largely built as illustrated minus the small tower over the main facade. In use for many years as a library with its ground...


Skip to toolbar