Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Monaghan

06 February 2013

1824 – Old Town Chapel, Park Street, Monaghan

Replaced by William Hague’s church, which was constructed alongside, this simple church with gothic windows to the street was demolished in teh early 20th century.

27 November 2012

1861 – Methodist Church, Dawson St., Monaghan

A fine little church with a symmetrical front on a slightly elevated site – it’s constructed over a basement, which gives the church a separation from the main streetscape. Photograph courtesy, and copyright...

30 October 2012

1770 – Lady Anne Temple, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Wyatt Mausoleum to Lady Anne Dawson for Thomas Dawson, lst Viscount Cremorne. After sitting derelict and roofless for many years, a restoration project is underway with the addition of a new...

01 October 2012

1840s – The Temple, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Built as a summer house for the Blayneys and used by the Hope family. Now largely disappeared, the front columns and wall are standing but covered in vegetation. The building was lit internally...

01 October 2012

1900 – St. Joseph’s Church, Park St., Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Fine barn style gothic church by William Hague who finished the town’s cathedral after the death of the architect J.J. McCarthy. Construction begun in summer of 1891, with work completed...

08 August 2012

1840s – Drumreaske House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker Possibly added to by local architect William Walker in a simple tudor style. For many years after the departure of the Kane family, it was divided into two and rented...

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

27 February 2012

1859 – Cornagilta School, Tydavnet, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Francis Turner Palgrave Neo-Gothic schoolhouse, built along with a teacher’s house for Miss Gertrude Rose of Mullaghmore House. A perspective view of the school, drawn and engraved by Palgrave in 1860 and...

27 February 2012

1830 – Gate Lodge, Camla Vale, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Former gatelodge for Camla Vale house, and not Rossmore Castle as usually assumed, due to its proximity across the road. Photograph Copyright Brian Lenehan and licensed for reuse under Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic.