Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Offaly

28 October 2015

1801 – Grand Canal Hotel, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: Captain William Evans The canal had been completed to Tullamore in March of 1798 and was the terminus for six years until the line to Shannon Harbour was completed in 1804. In...

28 October 2015

1906 – Church of the Assumption, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: William Hague A new Gothic style Church erected to a design of the architect William Hague and carried out under superintendence of T.F.McNamara. Replacing an older church on the site, work on...

09 February 2015

1926 – Durrow Abbey, Durrow, Co. Offaly

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne After the second Durrow Abbey House was gutted by fire during the Civil War in 1923. Ralph H. Byrne was commissioned to oversee reconstruction of Durrow Abbey House for...

09 February 2015

1860 – Durrow Abbey, Durrow, Co. Offaly

The story of Durrow Abbey House is framed by two fires. One in 1843 when the house was under construction destroyed the adjacent Georgian mansion and all the furnishings stored there, the other...

13 January 2015

1826 – Town Hall, Edenderry, Co. Offaly

Architect: Thomas Duff Originally constructed as a market house, and built in 1826 by Lord Downshire to a design by Thomas Duff. Until recently occupied by a courthouse to first floor and county...

07 June 2013

1757 – Bridge, Shannonbridge, Co. Offaly

Shannonbridge gets its name from the bridge connecting County Offaly and County Roscommon. Rachra is generally considered the old name for Shannonbridge, but ‘Shannonbridge’ was adopted after the building of the bridge in...

09 March 2013

1881 – St Brigid’s Church, Clara, Co. Offaly

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / Ralph H. Byrne Designed in 1876, and completed by 1881, and reminiscent of Pugin’s work at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Killarney – in particular the central crossing tower. The...

09 March 2013

1815 – St. Brendan’s Church of Ireland, Birr, Co. Offaly

Architect: John Johnson / Sir Thomas Drew Built in 1815, to a design by architect John Johnson, with four-bay nave and five-stage tower. Extended in 1876 by Sir Thomas Drew, who added a...

28 August 2012

1824 – St. Brendan’s Church, Birr, Co. Offaly

Architect: Bernard Mullins A curious design for a Roman Catholic church, looking more like a design by the Board of First Fruits for the Church of Ireland. The 2nd Earl of Rosse donated...

Pages:1234Next »