Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Roscommon

12 June 2013

1860 – Signal Box, Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon

Knockcroghery railway station opened on 13 February 1860 and closed on 17 June 1963.

15 April 2013

1814 – Barrack Block, Tete-De-Pont, Shannonbridge, Co. Roscommon

Tete-de-pont or bridge defences which were constructed during the Napoleonic Wars. The defences were designed to delay a military force approaching from the west from crossing the River Shannon to the eastern side....

15 April 2013

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Attractive bank branch with symmetrical front elevation, with doors to the banking hall and living accommodation. One of the doorways has an ATM crudely inserted. The doorway to the banking hall has a...

28 November 2012

1257 – Roscommon Abbey, Co. Roscommon

Founded in 1253 and consecrated in 1257. The church originally consisted of one long aisle with lancet windows. Those on the east and west walls were replaced in the 15th century with traceried...

28 November 2012

15th C. – Clonshanville Abbey, Co.Roscommon

Probably founded early to mid 15th century. According to the Dominican Provincial reports, there were two friars here in 1702, five in 1756 and three in 1767, of whom one was parish priest....

28 November 2012

1448 – Tulsk Abbey, Co. Roscommon

According to Lewis’s Topographical Survey of Ireland, “O’Conor Roe erected a castle here in 1406, and during the same century a Dominican monastery was founded either by MacDuil or O’Dowell, or by Phelim,...

06 November 2012

1895 – Presbytery, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon

Architect: W.H. Byrne Solid late-Victorian house with bay windows on several sides, and rather awkward decorative pediments over paired ground-floor windows..

02 November 2012

1883 – Courthouse, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Christopher J. Mulvany Selected design after an architectural competition to replace County Counthouse that had been destroyed in a fire in 1882.

01 November 2012

1896 – St. Patrick’s Church, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Goldie, Child & Goldie Imposing catholic church from English architect George Goldie, comprising nave, transepts, side aisles with two-storey sacristy to east and four-stage tower to north end of west front. The...

Pages:123Next »