Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Sligo

31 December 2009

1895 – Masonic Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Henry Seaver Designed by Belfast architect Henry Seaver, this distinctive brick Arts and Crafts building, sited on rising land, is a prominent local landmark with a tower with a richly moulded terracotta...

31 December 2009

2000 – Model Arts and Niland Gallery, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: James H. Owen / McCullough Mulvin The original building was designed by James Owen of the Board of Works to provide education to all demoninations between 1857-63. Part residence and school, the...

30 December 2009

1895 – Gillooly Memorial Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: P.J. Kilgallen Built to commemorate the deceased Bishop Gillooly who was a campaigner against alcohol. The interior is classic victorian – polished mahogany and leaded glass. The exterior is grim and foreboding,...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

30 December 2009

1874 – Townhall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: William Hague Designed by William Hague (who was better known for his churches), Sligo Townhall is a well proportioned building in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. The dominant feature is the central clock tower...

30 December 2009

1851 – Library, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon as a small Gothic Revival church in 1851, it was converted in 1954 into a Library. The former manse of 1867 is...

30 December 2009

1850 – Railway Station, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Built in the early 1850s by John Skipton Mulvany, the architect of the sublime Broadstone station in Dublin, the station was burned out during the Irish Civil War. This...

30 December 2009

1852 – Hyde Bridge, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Sir John Benson This is the main bridge in Sligo and was built between 1848-53 by local architect and engineer Sir John Benson. Originally it was dedicated to Queen Victoria but has...