Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Tipperary

18 October 2012

1881 – Town Hall, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

The original town hall was built in the seventeenth century on the site of a private mansion called Hamerton Hall, owned by Richard Hamerton, a timber merchant. The building became an Inn in...

18 October 2012

1860s – Ardfinnan Castle, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Ardfinnan Castle was originally built circa 1186 to guard the river crossing on the River Suir, seven miles west of Clonmel. It was preserved as a military stronghold until the year 1649, when...

12 October 2012

1675 – Cloughjordan House, Co. Tipperary

A 17th century house built on to a pre-existing medieval tower house, and further extended in the 18th century, with extensive 19th century and later farm buildings. The grounds contain the remains of...

12 October 2012

17th C – Loughmore Castle, Co. Tipperary

A 14th century tower house to which a 17th century fortified house has been built on to creating a larger h-plan house. It was the seat of the Purcell family, who were Barons...

20 September 2012

1265 – Franciscan Abbey, Cashel, Co. Tipperary

‘Hacket’s Abbey’ was founded by Sir William Hacket about 1265. Despite the fact that the Anglican archbishop got possession of the friary at the Suppression, the friars were able to remain on until...

21 March 2012

1806 – Shanbally Castle, Clogheen, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Nash Shanbally Castle was built for Cornelius O’Callaghan, the first Viscount Lismore and was the largest house built in Ireland by the noted English architect John Nash. Acquired by the Irish...

21 March 2012

1812 – Thomastown Castle, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Richard Morrison Built in 1812 for the 2nd Earl of Landaff, the large Tudor Revival castle incorporated a previous 17th century house, thought to have been designed by Sir William Robinson. Now...

12 March 2012

1791 – Design for Cashel Cathedral Steeple

Architect: Richard Morrison The lower part of the tower was completed as per this design, but the secondary level and the spire received a different treatment.

09 March 2012

1861 – St. Michael’s Church, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Constructed between 1855 and 1861 to desuigns in “Early English” style by McCarthy. Later work by John Hardman on a particularly fine altar, which is still intact today, albeit minus...