Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Waterford

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

14 May 2014

1878 – Warehouses, Merchants Quay, Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin “We publish herewith an illustration of a new warehouse about to be erected for Messrs. Power and Co., Merchants-quay, Waterford. The ground storey will be of Bagnalstown granite, Portland...

19 March 2014

1906 – Suir Railway Bridge, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Dismantled railway bridge crossing the Suir outside Waterford, between counties Waterford and Kilkenny. Built in 1906 on the Mallow/Waterford line with 9 spans, for a total 1205 ft in...

20 February 2014

1775 – Blackwater Bridge, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Thomas Ivory Commissioned by the 5th Duke of Devonshire (1748-1811) as part of improvements at Lismore, this is a graceful single span bridge over the river Blackwater. Three arches of a causeway...

20 February 2014

1851 – Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Atkinson / Joseph Paxton / A.W.N. Pugin / John Gregory Crace Originally built in 1185 by King John, Lismore Castle was owned in turn by Sir Walter Raleigh and Richard Boyle,...

20 February 2014

1882 – Design for Waterford City Markets

Architect: Walter G. Doolin As a result of an architectural competition held in 1880, Walter G. Doolin`s designs for a new markethall were adopted. The building was completed by 1882 at a cost...

20 February 2014

1870 – St. John’s College, Waterford

Architect: George Goldie Constructed between 1868 and 1879, the diocesan college had a cloistered central court and chapel – a rather grim fortress of Catholic education. Closed as a seminary in 1999 due...

08 August 2013

1894 – De La Salle College, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Byrne The De La Salle Brothers arrived in the city in 1870 and opened a successful primary school at Patrick Street in Waterford city. In 1887, the search began for a...

07 June 2013

1849 – Mayfield House, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Tinsley / John Skipton Mulvany Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement Italianate house incorporating fabric of earlier house constructed for the Malcomson family, whose cotton mills were nearby. Originally designed by William...