Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Waterford

13 November 2009

1854 – Clock, Waterford

Architect: Charles Tarrant Well detailed clocktower and public water fountain, with water troughs for horses, maintained in good order. Built by public subscription. Completed 1861 with a clock costing £78-10s donated by Corporation...

13 November 2009

1885 – Former Greyfriar’s Church, Waterford

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew An appealing small-scale Gothic Revival Methodist Church, designed by Sir Thomas Drew. Although extensively re-modelled to the interior to accommodate its present use as an art gallery, the exterior...

13 November 2009

1841 – Assembly House, Waterford

Architect: Thomas Jackson Fine classical building of five bays, originally designed as a bank, the central three projecting, with crisp Corinthian pilasters and a blank pediment above. The building is crisply detailed with...

13 November 2009

1834 – Franciscan Friary Church, Waterford

Architect: Terence O’Reilly An imposing church in the Classical style, which dominates the streetscapes of both narrow lanes on to which it is sited. The soaring tower also serves to identify the church...

13 November 2009

1783 – City Hall, Waterford

Architect: John Roberts Waterford City Hall was originally built in 1783 as an Assembly Rooms and Theatre. The ground floor was leased to Waterford Corporation until 1813 when the Corporation bought the lease...

13 November 2009

1779 – Christchurch Cathedral, Waterford

Architect: John Roberts Designed by local architect John Roberts, this is one of the architectural gems of Waterford. In 1773 the old Norman Gothic Cathedral was demolished after pressure was brought on the...

13 November 2009

1746 – Bishop’s Palace, Waterford

Architect: John Roberts Designed by local architect John Roberts, this is one of a cluster of his building in the immediate vicinity: City Hall and Christchurch Cathedral being adjacent. Built in a very...

13 November 2009

1240 – Greyfriars Abbey, Waterford

Founded by the Franciscans around 1240, only the nave, chancel and an aisle remain of the original complex. It has a fine triple light east window. After the Dissolution, it was used for...

13 November 2009

1226 – Black Friars Abbey, Waterford

According to Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary “A monastery for Dominican or Black Friars, called also Friars Preachers, who were introduced into Ireland in 1226, was founded by the citizens, who for that purpose applied...