Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Wexford

01 March 2013

1775c – Taylor’s Castle, Wexford, Co. Wexford

A georgian house, with extended windows and Irish-style castellations. Another view in the Lawrence Collection, in the National Library, taken in the early 20th century, shows it closed-up and semi-derelict. Mostly demolished, between...

19 October 2012

1869 – Church of Ireland, Bunclody, Co. Wexford

Architect: Joseph Welland / William Burges The original church was by Thomas Cooley, but little now remains of it, after the Ecclesiastical Commissioners largely rebuilt it in 1869. Then the galleries were removed,...

17 October 2012

1867 – Courtown House, Gorey, Co. Wexford

Architect: William Burn Courtown House, near Gorey, was the seat of the Earls of Courtown. It was significantly altered and enlarged during the 19th century, including work by William Burn. The front consisted...

09 August 2012

1864 – Church of the Assumption, Our Lady’s Island, Co. Wexford

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Fine church with tower and spire. Lovely interior with ribbed ceiling over arches on marble columns. Aisles are also ribbed. Interior largely intact. This file is licensed under the...

20 March 2012

1840 – Castleboro, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson Castleboro was a very large, imposing classical mansion built about 1840 for the 1st Baron Carew. The grand central block of the building presented the appearance of a Venetian Palace,...

19 October 2011

1880s – Convent of Mercy, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

In 1859 the Sisters of Mercy arrived in Enniscorthy to open a Convent to meet the needs of the poor. In 1860 two rooms were procured and classes for children and adults commenced....

19 October 2011

1770 – Kiltennell Church, Courtown, Co. Wexford

Designed by an unknown architect to replace an earlier church of around 1609. Constructed in the Courtown demesne, but Courtown House is now gone. The interior has memorials to the Stopford family, Earls...

13 April 2011

1817 – St. Edan’s Cathedral, Ferns, Co. Wexford

The original medieval cathedral was built by Bishop St. John in the 1230s. The building was burnt down in Elizabethan times and only a small portion of the ruins remain. Although Queen Elizabeth...

04 February 2011

2008 – Wexford Opera House

Architects: Office of Public Works in Ireland & Keith Williams Architects The new 7,235sqm purpose-designed opera house contains two theatres the principal auditorium 780 seats, and an adaptable auditorium of 175 seats provides...


Skip to toolbar