Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Wexford

09 July 2010

1180 c. – Wexford Town Walls, Co. Wexford

Wexford began as a Viking town in the 10th century, when the “deep pool” provided a safe berthing place for longboats. The town of Veisafjörà°r (“Bay of the Mud Flats”) was thus established....

30 June 2010

1860 – Church of the Assumption, Wexford, Co. Wexford

Architect: Richard Pierce / J.J. McCarthy On of Wexford’s “twin churches”, these Neo-Gothic buildings were opened in 1858 and the twin spires are part of the unique skyline of the town. Each Church...

30 June 2010

1770 – St. Iberius Church, Wexford

Architect: John Roberts The fine interior is late Georgian, while the front on the Main Street is more stark and subdued, with a central tower breaking free of the facade to an unusual...

31 December 2009

1874 – Church, Ballyoughter, Co. Wexford

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Small and simple gothic revival chapel by George Ashlin. Unremarkable interior post Vatican II.

31 December 2009

1776 – Cornmarket House, Wexford, Co. Wexford

Building of a market house commenced in 1772 by Wexford Corporation and was completed in 1776. The lower windows of today were arched recesses for the traders, a reminder of its market house...

31 December 2009

1906 – Templetown Church, Co. Wexford

Architect: Michael Power Templetown has received its name from the Kinights Templar, a brotherhood of monastic warriors originating during the crusades in the Holy Land. When the Anglo-Normans under Strongbow added Ireland to...

31 December 2009

1905 – Church of St. Mary & St. Michael, New Ross, Co. Wexford

Architect: W.G. Doolin An impressive large-scale church built by Andrew Cullen to designs prepared by Walter Glynn Doolin (1850-1902) who died before completion. Occupying an elevated position in the town previously accommodating a...

31 December 2009

1862 – St. James’ Church, Foulkesmill, Co. Wexford

In the June 15th, 1862 edition of the Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette it reports that on Friday the 30th May “Two interesting events took place in the parish of Horetown. The consecration of the...

31 December 2009

1855 – St. Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A monumental cathedral, the largest building in Ireland to designs prepared by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52) reputedly based on Tintern Abbey in Wales. Due to fears of...