Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Wicklow

14 August 2013

1860 – Old Connaught House, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Lanyon & Lynn A fine Tudor mansion by Charles Lanyon of Lanyon an Lynn, in the late 1850s, and completed by 1860. Published in The Builder, March 5 1859. “This mansion is...

03 July 2013

1811 – Castle Howard, Avoca, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison Built 1811 around the fabric of an earlier house. The house is designed part in Romantic Castle style and part in Abbey style. Described by Mark Bench-Jones as “a...

14 March 2013

1884 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard O’Brien Smyth Selected after an architectural competition, and constructed between 1882-84. In plan, cruciform with a porch to the north-east and a tower to the south-west. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of...

14 March 2013

1860 – Carmelite Monastery, Delgany, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Sterling Butler The Carmelite presence in Delgany dates back to 1844 when a monastic community was founded from Warrenmount in Dublin. Still active today, the monastery is now housed in a...

14 March 2013

1860s – Loreto Convent, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Sterling Butler A Georgian house that was “gothicised” and later added to by John Sterling Butler. The gothic dress was added c.1834 and a large twenty-two sided conservatory was also added....

14 March 2013

1899 – St. Saviour’s Church, Arklow, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Sir Arthur W. Blomfield Designed by noted English church architect Sir Arthur W. Blomfield, the gift of 5th Earl of Carysfort William Prob, in memory of his parents, brothers & sisters. Blomfields’s...

11 March 2013

1860c – Methodist Church, Arklow, Co. Wicklow

Five-bay gable-ended Gothic Methodist church, with the fa├žade finished in uncoursed rubble stone with dressed stone to the openings. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

09 March 2013

1790 – Poulaphouca Bridge, Co. Wicklow

Once this waterfall on the Liffey was once one of the best known in the country, but was reduced to a trickle when the hydroelectric scheme was built in the 1940’s. The bridge...

04 March 2013

1903 – St. Paul’s School, Herbert Rd., Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: J.F. Fuller School for the Church of Ireland, now demolished and a surface carpark.


Skip to toolbar