Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Convent of Mercy

21 August 2013

1851 – St. Maries of the Isle Mercy Convent, Sharman Crawford St., Cork

Architect: William Atkins Published in The Building News, December 7 1850. Constructed in red sandstone with limestone dressings. The proposed spire was never completed. Described at the time of constructed as: “This building...

15 April 2013

1864 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Society St., Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Gothic chapel designed by the County Surveypr for the Sisters of Mercy convent. The spire on the short tower is quite distinctive. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J....

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

06 October 2012

1750c – Claremount, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

Built in the 18th century, this house was the home of George Browne, third son of the 1st Earl of Altamont, in the 1760s. His daughter and heiress married Dominick Browne of Castlemagarret...

24 October 2011

1870 – Convent of Mercy, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church added by Ashlin to existing convent of around 1846.

19 October 2011

1880s – Convent of Mercy, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

In 1859 the Sisters of Mercy arrived in Enniscorthy to open a Convent to meet the needs of the poor. In 1860 two rooms were procured and classes for children and adults commenced....

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

19 February 2010

1827 – Mercy International Centre, Baggot Street, Dublin

Architect: John B. Keane In 1824, with the blessing of Dublin’s Archbishop Daniel Murray, Catherine McAuley bought land on Lower Baggot Street, and built a home for unemployed girls, homeless children and the...

23 September 2009

1879 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: S.F. Hynes The chapel was a later addition to the Romanesque Revival complex, and was designed by S.F. Hynes. “This chapel is to be built in connection with the Convent of Mercy,...

Pages:12Next »