Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cork

18 February 2015

1968 – Cork County Hall

Architect: Patrick McSweeney Designed by Patrick McSweeney who was Cork County Architect from 1953 to 1975 and designed numerous buildings in and around Cork City. Cork County Hall, was at the time of...

03 February 2015

1738 – St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Built to replace a decaying medieval cathedral, it retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral. Completed in 1738, it was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral by...

22 January 2015

1926 – Daly’s Bridge, Sundays Well, Cork

Architect: Stephen W. Farrington Completed in 1926, in wrought iron with timber walkway, by the London based David Rowell & Company to the designs of Stephen W. Farrington, the Cork City Engineer. The...

21 January 2015

1840 – Bank of Ireland, 32 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane New bank by ‘Mssrs. Deane’, Thomas Deane & Co., comprising Thomas and his brother Kearns, on site formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners’ office. Cost £3,500. Later alterations by Millar &...

23 May 2014

1873 – Hickman Monument, Cork, Co. Cork

Architect: Samuel Murphy It has been our pleasing duty for some time past to record the great activity which prevails throughout the south of Ireland in all branches of the building trade, in...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

12 March 2014

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Anglesea Bridge, Cork

Decorative archway built to welcome Queen Victoria to Cork. Similar archways were built in Belfast and Dublin to mark this and subsequent Royal visits. All were temporary structures.

07 February 2014

1815 – Imperial Hotel, Cork

The present main façade and entrance to the Imperial Hotel was originally constructed as a separate commercial building on South Mall. The hotel was originally on Pembroke Street, and later combined with it.

04 February 2014

1861 – St. Patrick’s Bridge, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson Fine masonry bridge with three elliptical archies to designs by engineer-architect Sir John Benson. It appears that he provided three designs for the site: one iron swivel; iron single...