Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cork

12 June 2013

1883 – City Hall, Albert Quay, Cork

Cork City Hall began its life as the City’s Corn Exchange, the main frontage of which was constructed in 1843. The location was also used by two industrial exhibitions in 1852 and 1883,...

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

08 March 2013

1905 – Carnegie Library, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler Foundation stone laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1903 with the building opening in 1905. Located on Anglesea Street next to City Hall, this elegant building lasted for only 15...

06 March 2013

1851 – Design for St. Mary’s (North) Cathedral, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson A design for reconstruction comprising a new tower, lengthening of the nave, the insertion of stone mullioned windows and an arch on which a steeple was to rest. The...

12 September 2012

1862 – Unbuilt Design for St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: E.W. Godwin Competition design from the 1862 competition published in The Building News, October 11th 1872. In February 1863, William Burges was declared the winner. His diary records his delight; “Got Cork!”,...

30 May 2012

1900 – Hotel Metropole, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Ornate Victorian hotel with retail units at ground level. The building Rebuilt and extended during 1910-11 after a large fire.

23 April 2012

1852 – Cork & Bandon Railway Station, Albert Quay, Cork

Architect: Joshua Hargrave Railway terminus on Albert Quay for the Cork & Bandon Railway. The railway company changed its name to Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway in 1888 and became part of...