Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cork

15 December 2011

1866 – S.S. Peter & Paul’s Church, Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin Architecturally one of the finest churches in the city, the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866. After an architectural competition in 1859, Pugin was awarded the commission...

13 December 2011

1879 – S.S. Peter & Paul Presbytery & Schools, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Presbytery and schools for 740 children. Presbytery has hall, waiting and reception rooms on ground floor and 15 sitting and bedrooms on 1st floor, with 2 bathrooms. Tower, which separates...

13 December 2011

1847 – University College Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane One of three colleges constructed in Belfast, Galway and Cork, the original buildings of UCC were nominally designed by Thomas Deane. However it is now more accepted that most of...

13 December 2011

1847 – The Eglinton Lunatic Asylum, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Originally designed as three separate ranges spectactularly sited overlooking the river Lee. Constructed between 1847 and 1852, the ranges were linked by low arcades which also linked a chapel and...

01 December 2011

1852 – National Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The National Exhibition was housed in a cruciform building, with four ‘transepts’, specially designed and erected at the Corn Exchange on Albert Quay, the site of the present City...

30 November 2011

1866 – Design for St.Vincent’s Church and Presbytery, Cork

Architect: George Goldie Originally designed by its architect George Goldie as a retreat house, it was built in 1873 as a physical attachment to the west side of St Vincent’s Church. Wood engraved...

03 June 2011

1931 – Christ the King, Turner’s Cross, Cork

Architect: Barry Byrne According to Shane O’Toole, in a piece for The Sunday Times “Byrne (1883-1967), a protégé and friend of Frank Lloyd Wright, never set foot inside what he regarded as his...

23 April 2011

1851 – Chetwynd Viaduct, Co. Cork

Architect: Charles Nixon Designed by Charles Nixon (a former pupil of I.K. Brunel) and built between 1849 and 1851 by Fox, Henderson and Co, which also built the Crystal Palace in London. The...

05 April 2011

1913 – Coliseum Theatre, MacCurtain Street, Cork

Architect: Arthur & Henry H. Hill Constructed as a Picture Theatre, the Coliseum remained in used until the 1970s.