Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cork

27 September 2010

1934 – Design for Airport, Cork

Unexecuted design from the 1930s for an airport for Cork City. Over the years, a number of sites were considered for both an airport for landplanes and a seaplane base.

09 June 2010

1880 – Parnell Bridge, Cork

Architect: T. Claxton Fiddler The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old...

09 June 2010

1881 – Carrigmahon Villas, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane Carrigmahon Villas were built in the 1880s in the area between Glenbrook Baths and Tobin’s Quay. In 1913 one of the villas was destroyed by fire and the others were...

18 February 2010

2008 – The Elysian, Eglinton St., Cork

Architect: Frank O’Mahony Architects The Elysian is a mixed-use complex of a number of connected 6-8 storey buildings, with a landmark 17-storey tower on the southwest corner of the site. The tower is...

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...

06 November 2009

1880 – 39 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Corner-sited end-of-terrace six-bay four-storey former department store, built c. 1880, now in use as retail outlet and bank. Rendered parapet with moulded eaves course. Probably a good example of how this side of...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...