Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cork

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

06 November 2009

1860 – Central Markets, Cork

Architect: John Benson Home to the renowned English Market, the Central Markets have their primary entrance on Princes Street. the markets area network of pedestrian passageways linking various streets and alleys in the...

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...

06 November 2009

1850 – St. Mary’s Priory, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Sited alongside the classical St. Mary’s catholic church, the priory by William Atkins is a mixture of classical and victorian institutional gothic. It may have been a Georgian house with...

06 November 2009

1879 – Post Office, Cork

Architect: Jacob Owen / T.J. Mellon Large post office building with a fine curved fa├žade with arcaded windows. Designed by Jacob Owen of the Board of Works and later extended by T.J. Mellon...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the fa├žade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...

06 November 2009

1918 – Counting House, Beamish & Crawford Brewery, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston There was a brewery on this site as far back as the 17th century and before that a monastery. William Beamish and William Crawford acquired the brewery in 1791...

06 November 2009

1890 – Former Woodford Bourne Store, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Turning the important corner of Patrick Street into Grand Parade, the former store of Woodford Bourne is now a fastfood outlet. Over each window on the main shopfront can be...

06 November 2009

1893 – Kent Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Bayley & Gordon The second station on this site, the original station was designed by John Benson and remains to the west of the existing building. Externally itwas intended to have a...