Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

country houses

23 September 2014

1802 – Markree Castle, Co. Sligo

Architect: Francis Johnston The castle, as we see it today, dates from 1802 with exterior changes by the architect Francis Johnston and with some changes made, mainly to the interior, in 1896. Semi-derelict...

03 July 2014

1864 – Tinode House, Blessington, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Caldbeck Tinode House was burned to the ground in 1922 by the IRA, and has since been partially rebuilt. Part of the entrance front was reconstructed as a single storey as...

13 June 2014

1860s – Kircassock House, Magheralin, Co. Armagh

During the 1860s, the house was own by Jonathan Richardson MP, who had Alfred Waterhouse design some alterations, after which the house had assumed the form illustrated. During the Second World War the...

02 June 2014

1710s – Knox-Hannyngton House, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

The site contained a castle from the early 15th century, which was the headquarters of the O’Neills until the Flight of the Earls in 1607. The land was seized and granted to Sit...

29 May 2014

1660s – Beaulieu, Co. Louth

The buildings at Beaulieu, evolved over time, from tower house to Jacobean building, finally being redesigned as a grand mansion, in the English style, by the Tichbourne family. As such, it is a...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

02 May 2014

1862 – Seskinore House, Fintona, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Boyd & Batt The house was heavily remodelled and extended for George Perry McClintock. in 1862 to a design by Derry and Belfast-based architects Boyd & Batt. Demolished in the early 1950s.

01 May 2014

1898 – Houghton Grange, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Architect: James Ransome Houghton Grange has lain empty for over 25 years since the poultry research business who used it for decades along with rest of the estate closed. It is now in...

22 April 2014

1899 – Cavenham Hall, Suffolk

Architect: A.N. Prentice Constructed 1899, and demolished 1949. The architect, A.N. Prentice’s other work at the estate including gatehouses still exists. “This house, which is now in course of completion has been built...