Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

country houses

18 February 2014

1830 – Ballybay House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John B. Keane Ballybay House, residence of Edward John Henry Leslie C.M.G., M.V.O; (1890-1966), British Ambassador to Rome, which was destroyed by the IRA on 2nd June 1921. It was two storeys...

18 February 2014

1814 – Newbliss House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

An early 19th century house of two storeys with a five bay main front. The enclosed porch features two Ionic columns. Owned by the Ker family who largely developed the village of Newbliss,...

18 February 2014

1780s – Camla Vale, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

After World War II, when nearby Rossmore Castle developed a severe case of dry rot, the 6th Lord Rossmore and his family were forced to leave the castle and take up residence in...

18 February 2014

17th C. – Turvey House, Donabate, Co. Dublin

Turvey House was demolished in 1987. Originally built in the 16th Century by Sir Patrick Barnewall using the stones from the ruins of Grace Dieu Nunnery. A late 17th century house was built...

18 February 2014

1731 – Furness House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Francis Bindon The 3-bay centre block is of cut ashlar limestone, with pilasters and lions around the door. Attributed to Francis Bindon. In 1783 two wings were added and in 1795 a...

18 February 2014

1760 – Dowth Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: George Darley Dowth Hall dates from c.1760 and was built for John, Viscount Netterville (1744-1826), and probably designed by George Darley. According to theirishaesthete.com: “The real delight of Dowth lies in its...

18 February 2014

1700 – Platten Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: Sir William Robinson Construction started circa 1700 for Alderman John Graham. According to Maurice Craig, possibly designed by Sir William Robinson. Demolished in the 1950s. Replaced by a smaller house on the...

30 January 2014

1730 – Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Wright / Charles Lanyon / James Rawson Carroll Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard, designed and added to by a number of architects. The original house was...

07 January 2014

1713 – Gowran Castle, Co. Kilkenny

The original Gowran Castle was built in the late 14th century by the Earls of Ormonde. Badly damaged in the Cromwellian wars and was all but a ruin when Charles Agar acquired a...