Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

country houses

13 December 2013

1739 – Frescati House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Built for the provost of Trinity College, John Hely Hutchinson, it was later acquired in the 1750s by the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster. rescati became one of their three principal residences alongside Leinster...

06 December 2013

1865 – Shane’s Castle, Randalstown, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lanyon Lynn and Lanyon In 1809 work was started to rebuild a large Plantation castle to the designs of John Nash – the main object of the plan was to give the...

06 December 2013

1825 – Purdysburn House, Newtownbreda, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Hopper Described simple as “Purdysburn, the splendid mansion of Narcissus Batt, Esq., built after a design by Hopper” in Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837). When two of the...

02 December 2013

1766 – Lucan House, Lucan, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Chambers, Michael Stapleton Apparently designed by Sir William Chambers with adaptations by Agmondisham Vesey during the construction of the house. Michael Stapleton designed plasterwork for the interior. However this image by...

01 December 2013

1838 – Ballydrain, Dunmurray, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore / W.H. Lynn The original house was designed by Blore in a Tudor Revival style. In October 1836 he visited the estate “to examine the House and advise with Mr....

27 November 2013

1802 – Farnham House, Co. Cavan

Architect: Francis Johnston A large addition around 1802 by Francis Johnston gave the house its current form today. This is the latter day surviving Farnham House, which is now incorporated as the centrepiece...

26 November 2013

1764 – Marlay House, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Marlay House was built by Thomas Taylor and was originally known as ‘The Grange’. David La Touche, first governor of the newly established Bank of Ireland acquired and extended the house in 1764...

21 November 2013

1874 – Chateau St. Michael, Cannes, France

Architect: T.T. Smith “Built two miles on the east side of Cannes, on the road towards Golfe Yuan, is situated on an eminence overlooking the Mediterranean, and commanding extensive views over the Estrelle...

18 November 2013

1840 – Magheramena Castle, Belleek, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: John B. Keane Constructed between 1835 and 1840, with the design exhibited at the RHA in 1840. In the Tudor-Gothic style, it was of two storeys, with irregular facades, polygonal turrets and...