Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

country houses

09 April 2013

1714 – Corkagh House, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Corkagh House originally started as a small farmhouse built circa 1650 which was later extended between 1702 and 1714 when a large wing of eight bays and a parapeted roof was constructed. This...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

26 March 2013

1733 – Desart Court, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce A Palladian house of two storeys over a basement, joined to two two-storey wings by curved sweeps from around 1733, and attributed to Edward Lovett Pearce. The centre block...

24 March 2013

1862 – Ettington Park, Warwickshire

Architect: John Prichard Belonging to the Shirley family for hundreds of years, in 1858, Evelyn Philip Shirley, “finding the property in much need of repair”, decided to carry out a major rebuilding programme....

18 March 2013

1854 – Castlewellan, Co. Down

Architect: William Burn Constructed for the 4th Earl Annesley between 1852 and 1854 in a Scots Baronial style. Finished in granite, it’s a rather austere building despite the numerous small towers. A large...

16 March 2013

1868 – Leyes Wood, Sussex

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed as a mansion for James W. Temple. A fantastic victorian confection of brick, gables and chimneys, displaying a knowledge of tradition building forms, it is designed as a...

16 March 2013

1872 – Seacox Heath, Ticehurst, Sussex

Architect: Slater & Carpenter Built in 1871. Architects Carpenter and Slater. Tall mansion in the style of a French chateau. Three storeys and attic. Seven windows. Ashlar. Slate roof with three steep French...

16 March 2013

1868 – Lythe Hill, Haslemere, Surrey

Architect: Frederick Pepys Cockerell During 1957 this house was taken over by the Admiralty for use by the staff of Commodore Naval Drafting and was named HMS Centurion. The Royal Navy moved from...

16 March 2013

1861 – Wexham Lodge, Buckinghamshire

Architect: John Barnett From The Building News, January 18 1861: “THE engraving presents a view of an Elizabethan mansion, from tho designs of Mr. John Barnett, architect, now completing for Joseph Grote, Esq.,...