Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

country houses

21 March 2012

1812 – Thomastown Castle, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Richard Morrison Built in 1812 for the 2nd Earl of Landaff, the large Tudor Revival castle incorporated a previous 17th century house, thought to have been designed by Sir William Robinson. Now...

20 March 2012

1840 – Castleboro, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson Castleboro was a very large, imposing classical mansion built about 1840 for the 1st Baron Carew. The grand central block of the building presented the appearance of a Venetian Palace,...

20 March 2012

1730 – Strokestown Park, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Richard Cassels / J. Lynn A substantial house in the Palladian manner of a central block flanked by wings and curved sweeps. The centre block was completed in 1696 but extended around...

19 March 2012

1859 – St. Austin’s Abbey, Tullow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Deane & Woodward St. Austin’s Abbey was built in the 1850’s by Charles Henry Doyne youngest son of Robert Doyne. The architects were Sir Thomas Newenham Deane and Benjamin Woodward. The house...

19 March 2012

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. In 1822 an extra floor was added and after a fire in the 1860s it was...

19 March 2012

1730 – French Park, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Richard Cassels Large three storey mansion with two storey wings connected by simple curved sweeps. Similar in design to houses at Strokestown and the Bishop’s Palace at Elphin. In 1952 Lord de...

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

14 March 2012

1730s – St Wolstan’s, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

The buildings of St. Wolstan’s priory were probably converted into a house for Sir John Alen before his death in 1561. The present house is said to have been first built in the...

11 March 2012

1812 – Ballyheigue Castle, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison Long rambling castle sited across a hillside. Burnt during 1921, a wing was recently restored. The grounds are now a golf course. Interestingly while both illustrations...