Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

department stores

07 March 2014

1858 – Cannock, Tait and Co. Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Part of the building was constructed in 1858 and described in The Irish Builder, February 1 1859: “Messrs. Cannock, Tait and Co’s premises occupy a plot of ground 210 feet...

07 March 2014

1874 – Todd’s Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William S. Cox Todd’s was a Limerick landmark with a stately interior, long and wide mahogany counters, and an all-round balcony with cast-iron ornamental railings. The store was founded by William Todd...

01 March 2014

1906 – Austin’s Department Store, Derry

Architect: M.A. Robinson A most imposing 5 storey Edwardian building with its conglomeration of large windows, columns, pedestals, balconies and a copper roofed cupola. This flamboyant building was built between 1904 and 1907...

10 February 2014

1940 – Debenhams, O’Connell Street, Limerick,

A fine corner building, stylistically old-fashioned by the time of its construction. The corner entrance has a a double-height polished limestone surround. The facades feature stepped stylised Doric piers with fluted capitals, rising...

25 January 2014

1874 – J. Robb & Co Department Store, Castle St., Belfast

Architect: William Hastings John Robb & Co was a Belfast department store that had extended many times in the late 19th century. Originally it was at No 15 in 1861, expanding to No...

04 January 2014

1875 – Kaufhaus Schneider, Maximiliansplatz, Munich, Germany

Design for a department store in Munich. Destroyed.

04 October 2013

1848 – Brown Thomas, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Started in 1848 with a large extension a decade later, and Italianate in style. Gutted in the 1990s for Marks & Spencer, only the facade remains of the warren of...

31 May 2013

1922 – Dickins & Jones, 224-244 Regent St., London

Architect: Henry Tanner In 1790, Dickins and Smith opened a shop at 54, Oxford Street, at the sign of the Golden Lion. In 1830 the shop was renamed “Dickins, Sons and Stevens”, and...

19 May 2013

1920 – Marsh, Jones, & Cribb Department Store, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: Cackett & Burns Dick From The Building News, July 16 1920: “Messrs. Marsh, Jones, and Cribb, the well-known decorators and furnishers of Leeds, decided to erect new buildings, and offered substantial premiums...