Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

department stores

19 May 2013

1920 – Marsh, Jones, & Cribb Department Store, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: Cackett & Burns Dick From The Building News, July 16 1920: “Messrs. Marsh, Jones, and Cribb, the well-known decorators and furnishers of Leeds, decided to erect new buildings, and offered substantial premiums...

18 February 2013

1853 – Clery & Co., O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Opened in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart’ opposite the General Post Office. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed...

11 December 2012

1858 – Crypt Chambers, Eastgate St., Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, 1860. Constructed to continue the famous Chester Rows within the design, Penson’s Crypt Chambers is a Grade I listed building. It was built as a...

15 September 2012

1876 – Arnold Constable & Company, 887 Broadway, New York

Architect: Griffith Thomas The original Arnold Constable & Company’s building at 887 Broadway from 1869, was eventually extended along the length of 19th Street to Fifth Avenue, all in a similar style by...

06 August 2012

1911 – Tegler Block, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: H.A. Magoon The Tegler Building was built in 1911 by Edmonton entrepreneur and philanthropist, Robert Tegler, and was one of the earliest reinforced concrete buildings in Alberta. An eight-storey addition was constructed...

01 August 2012

1913 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Burke Horwood & White Magnificent Edwardian department store of six storeys with the facade organized into three divisions. The base features display windows behind an arched colonnade. The middle division, the second...

01 August 2012

1929 – T. Eaton Co., Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Ross & Macdonald The T. Eaton Co. opened its original department store on the site in 1929. In the late 1980s Eaton’s relocated into a new building one block west. In 1988,...

06 December 2011

1856 – Pim’s Department Store, Sth Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes Large department store demolished in the 1970s to make way for an office building. Designed by Sandham Symes and built in several stages by the Pim family from the mid...

05 July 2011

1907 – Hamburger Department Store, Los Angeles, California

Architect: Alfred Rosenheim Six-story, steel-frame Beaux Arts department store designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim, built in 1907.