Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

department stores

14 September 2010

1880 – Jevons & Mellor, Corporation Street, Birmingham

Architect: Kirk & Sons Perspective view of Jevons and Mellor’s new premises on Corporation Street as published in The Building News, July 2nd 1880.

25 June 2010

1889 – Denver Dry Building, Denver

Architect: Frank E. Edbrooke Originally built in 1889,the store was expanded in 1898, 1906 and 1924, the Denver Dry Goods Company Building is a historic department store building. For a while, the store...

10 June 2010

1927 – Former Gorevan’s Department Store, Camden Street, Dublin

Architect: Rudolph Maximilian Butler A fine concrete building with its structure clearly visible, this former Department Store is now empty after been used as the headquarters of the Irish Nationwide Building Society. The...

06 May 2010

1927 – Hudson’s Bay Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: E.I. Barott Founded in 1670, the Hudson’s Bay Company’s (HBC) chief interests for its first two centuries were the fur trade, exploration and settlement. After 1870, when its territory of Rupert’s Land...

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

07 April 2010

1894 – Arnott’s, Henry Street, Dublin

Architect: G.P Beater Ireland’s largest single department store, and one of the biggest in Europe when it is extended into Independent House on Abbey Street. A grandiose Victorian design, the building has suffered...

07 April 2010

2003 – Debenhams, Henry Street, Dublin

Architect: Newenham Mulligan and Associates Designed in the 1950s by the same firm of architects (NMA), half of the store was built in the 1960s and the other half in the 1970s. The...

07 April 2010

1920 – Clery’s Department Store, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman A Dublin landmark – opposite the General Post Office on O’Connell Street, Clery’s has for generations being a Dublin and indeed Irish tradition – meeting under the clock being...

01 April 2010

1905 – Todd Burn’s Department Store, Mary Street, Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Built as Todd Burn’s department store, this is a fantastically decorative building with dome which acted as a counterbalance to the tower of Arnotts. Glorious red brick with terracotta details,...