Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

department stores

24 September 2009

1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: James Scott A fine building, developed as a department store in the 1930s and opposite the Bank of Ireland, Sinclairs building is now divided into different premises but its exterior remains to...

24 September 2009

1885 – Robinson & Cleaver, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Facing City Hall on Donegall Square North, the former Robinson & Cleaver store is now subdivided up into various commercial premises. Belfast has quite a few former department store...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former Richardsons Store, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn Built in 1867-69, this fine warehouse once had a fine dormered roofline and tall chimneys. These are alas, a memory as is the former interior which was destroyed in the...

22 September 2009

1930 – Black Building, Fargo, North Dakota

Architect: Lang, Raugland & Lewis Built by a local retailer in an Art Moderne style, this is the tallest building in the historic downtown area of Fargo. The facade at streetlevel has ornate...

22 September 2009

1904 – DeLendrecie’s Building, Fargo, North Dakota

Architects: McMillan & Tenbusch, Andrew O’Shea Built and designed in two phases, the original two floors were designed by McMillan & Tenbusch and built in 1894. The top three floors were designed by...

02 September 2009

1907 – Burtons Department Store, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir John James Burnet Scotland’s first steel framed building, this is a fine corner building originally built as a department store for Burtons. It is still in use as commercial premises but...

02 September 2009

1892 – Jenners Department Store, Edinburgh

Architect: William Hamilton Beattie Jenners on Princes Street is not just a large department store, it is an Edinburgh institution – the Harrods of Edinburgh. Jenners is the oldest independent department store in...

07 August 2009

1906 – Mappin & Webb, Oxford Street, London

Architect: John Belcher

16 June 2009

1899 – Pettigrew & Stephens Department Store, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Architect: Honeyman & Keppie Pettigrew & Stephens was a leading Glasgow department store that was founded in 1888 as Pettigrew & Stephens, later part of House of Fraser. The store sold a wide...


Skip to toolbar