Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Derry

29 May 2015

1814 – Former Foyle College, Derry

Architect: John Bowden Foyle College traces its origins to 1617 and the establishment of the Free Grammar School at Society Street within the city walls of Derry by Mathias Springham of the Merchant...

29 May 2015

1866 – Ferryquay Gate, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Robert Collins The site of one of the four original gateways; it overlooked the ferryquay on the River Foyle. This was the gate closed by the Apprentice Boys of Derry in December...

27 March 2014

1875 – Waterside Railway Station, Derry

Architect: John Lanyon The Belfast & Northern Counties Railway commissioned an impressive dressed sandstone structure with Italianate tower, which opened in 1875. In addition to the usual train shed, waiting, booking and refreshment...

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

26 March 2014

1789 – Bishop Gate, City Walls, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Henry Aaron Baker The present Bishop Gate was built in 1789 as a triumphal arch to mark the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry....

06 March 2014

1863 – Ulster Bank, Waterloo Place, Derry

Architect: Thomas Jackson Fine Italianate bank building by Belfast architect Thomas Jackson. Jackson was architect to the Ulster Bank, and designed many branches but the design of the head office was given to...

01 March 2014

1906 – Austin’s Department Store, Derry

Architect: M.A. Robinson A most imposing 5 storey Edwardian building with its conglomeration of large windows, columns, pedestals, balconies and a copper roofed cupola. This flamboyant building was built between 1904 and 1907...

13 November 2013

1863 – Carlisle Bridge, Derry

A iron-framed double-decked bridge constructed 1859-63. Replaced in 1931.

08 October 2013

1828 – Governor Walker’s Monument, Derry

Architect: John Henry The former Walker’s Pillar was a memorial to Rev. George Walker, the rector of Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, who came to Derry prior to the Siege of 1688-89. He was quickly...

Pages:123Next »