Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin bridges

07 April 2015

1690s – Barrack Bridge, Dublin

Barrack Bridge was originally a wooden structure built in 1670, and was the second bridge across the river Liffey. During its construction, a number of men attempted to destroy it on several occasions...

02 November 2013

1798 – Carlisle Bridge, Dublin

Architect: James Gandon Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O’Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named after the then Viceroy – Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a slight hump and...

27 September 2012

1793 – Island Bridge, Dublin

Built between 1791 and 1793 as a single 32-metre span arch bridge. Originally named after Sarah, Countess of Westmoreland, wife of the then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland....

29 March 2012

1879 – Design for Swing Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Design published in 1879 for bridge over the Liffey at Beresford Place. Eventually called Butt Bridge, it linked the new Tara Street with Beresford Place. It was replaced in...

16 November 2011

1755 – Essex Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Semple An elevation of Essex Bridge, now Grattan Bridge in Dublin, as rebuilt by George Semple in 1755. Begun 19 Jan 1753, and finished 11 May 1755. The East Elevation and...

23 June 2010

2009 – Samuel Beckett Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Santiago Calatrava Dublin’s Samuel Beckett Bridge, designed by internationally renowned architect Santiago Calatrava cost €60 million and took ten years to complete. The 120-metre long, 48-metre high bridge spans the river Liffey...

20 January 2010

1764 – Mellows Bridge, Dublin

This is the oldest standing bridge spanning the Liffey. Built in 1764 and completed in 1768, it was originally known as Queens Bridge after Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. It was...

20 January 2010

1880 – O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O’Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named after the then Viceroy – Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and...

20 January 2010

1816 – O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Knowles & James Savage Built in 1813 and opened in 1816, this was originally known as Richmond Bridge after the Viceroy – it was later renamed after Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa (1831-1915)...

Pages:123Next »

Skip to toolbar