Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin cinemas

20 March 2014

1920 – Capitol Theatre, Princes Street, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara The Capitol Theatre, located just off O’Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Constructed on the former site of Freeman’s...

06 May 2013

1968 – Former Curzon Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons & Partners Opened as the Curzon Cinema, and later the Lighthouse, the entrance foyer to this cinema was distinctly modern. A converted warehouse, it contained two theatres, and was...

31 October 2012

1934 – Grand Cinema, Drumcondra, Dublin

The former 1,200 Grand Cinema in the Dublin suburb of Drumcondra opened on 19th August 1934. It closed on 24th March 1968. Converted into a supermarket with the total loss of its original...

17 September 2012

1839 – Bethesda Chapel, Granby Row, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected around 1839 as the Protestant Bethesda Chapel to replace an earlier one of 1789. The squat building was fronted by a simple, classical portico with two Ionic columns. Tall,...

01 May 2012

1914 – Phibsborough Picture House, North Circular Rd, Dublin

Architect: A.V. O’Rourke Closed in 1953, to be demolished to allow a new cinema to be constructed on the site. The Phibsborough Picture House had a capacity by that time of over 600...

23 April 2012

1922 – Metropole Cinema & Restaurant, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: A.V. O’Rourke Built on the site of the former Metropole Hotel, which was destroyed in the 1916 rising, the Metropole Cinema & Restaurant became one of the most fashionable venues in Dublin....

23 April 2012

1914 – Former Broadway Cinema, Manor Street, Dublin

Architect: Opened in 1914, the cinema sat 630 people and was originally known as the Manor Cinema. Later, it was known as the Palladium, and then finally the Broadway Manor Street Cinema. A...

22 April 2012

1923 – Lyric Cinema, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Patrick J.F. Munden & George L. O’Connor Image courtesy Irish Architectural Archive. Munden and Purcell collection, ref no. 85/141.60/2. Former cinema, long darkened, later in use as part of a commercial premises....

15 December 2011

1935 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Leslie Norton The third Theatre Royal opened on September 23, 1935 in Hawkins Street. Designed by English architect Leslie Norton in conjunction with Dublin firm Scott & Good. It was a large...

Pages:123Next »