Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin cinemas

03 December 2010

1912 – Phoenix Cinema, Ellis Quay, Dublin

Architect: Francis Bergin Once every neighbourhood or major street had its own cinema, many are sadly gone. The Phoenix lives on, but as a furniture store. However a glimpse inside shows original staircases...

30 June 2010

1938 – Former Classic Cinema, Terenure, Dublin

Former cinema, now like many in the suburbs, used as a commercial premises. The building along with a smaller light industrial premises alongside has Art Deco touches. It seated over 700 people and...

10 June 2010

1933 – Former DeLuxe Cinema, Camden Street, Dublin

Architect: Jones & Kelly Former cinema now a nightclub and hotel, the exterior of the DeLuxe Cinema is mostly intact. There is a fine interior also still largely intact, having survived conversion to...

26 April 2010

1929 – Former Grand Cinema, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons Former cinema, now missing most of its auditorium after the rear half of the building was demolished. The former balcony level still exists as a private screening cinema, after...

08 April 2010

1938 – Former Aldephi Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: W.R. Glen Open until the early 1990s, the Adelphi was demolished and part of its fa├žade retained to provide car parking for the expanded Arnott’s Department Store. Not only was the fine...

07 April 2010

1932 – Former Carlton Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe One of Dublin’s finest Art Deco facades, the former Carlton Cinema has been closed for over a decade and is not awaiting demolition. A proposal to move the facade is...

07 April 2010

1929 – Savoy Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: F.C. Mitchell Designed in the same stripped Classical style as the adjacent Gresham Hotel and Hammam Chambers, the Savoy was once one of the great “atmospherics” – the massive interior decorated on...

07 April 2010

1913 – No. 62 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: A.V. O’Rourke With its giant Ionic order, this former theatre (the Pillar Picture House) is now sadly in use as a fast food restaurant. The ground level has been clumsily altered, but...

04 February 2010

1920 – Former Screen Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara / Jones & Kelly Originally rebuilt after the 1916 destruction of this part of Dublin, as the Corinthian Cinema, photographs from the 1950s show it encased in neon. It was...


Skip to toolbar