Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin department stores

04 October 2013

1848 – Brown Thomas, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Started in 1848 with a large extension a decade later, and Italianate in style. Gutted in the 1990s for Marks & Spencer, only the facade remains of the warren of...

18 February 2013

1853 – Clery & Co., O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Opened in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart’ opposite the General Post Office. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed...

06 December 2011

1856 – Pim’s Department Store, Sth Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes Large department store demolished in the 1970s to make way for an office building. Designed by Sandham Symes and built in several stages by the Pim family from the mid...

10 June 2010

1927 – Former Gorevan’s Department Store, Camden Street, Dublin

Architect: Rudolph Maximilian Butler A fine concrete building with its structure clearly visible, this former Department Store is now empty after been used as the headquarters of the Irish Nationwide Building Society. The...

07 April 2010

1894 – Arnott’s, Henry Street, Dublin

Architect: G.P Beater Ireland’s largest single department store, and one of the biggest in Europe when it is extended into Independent House on Abbey Street. A grandiose Victorian design, the building has suffered...

07 April 2010

2003 – Debenhams, Henry Street, Dublin

Architect: Newenham Mulligan and Associates Designed in the 1950s by the same firm of architects (NMA), half of the store was built in the 1960s and the other half in the 1970s. The...

01 April 2010

1905 – Todd Burn’s Department Store, Mary Street, Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Built as Todd Burn’s department store, this is a fantastically decorative building with dome which acted as a counterbalance to the tower of Arnotts. Glorious red brick with terracotta details,...