Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin Quays

11 December 2014

1800 – Carlisle Building, Burgh Quay, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Constructed around 1800. Alterations to street frontage for Kinahan & Co., by William Caldbeck in 1860. In later years, the building had signage espousing various products. Pulled down in the...

05 December 2014

1960s – Unbuilt twin for O’Connell Bridge House, Dublin

Architect: Desmond Fitzgerald After O’Connell Bridge House was constructed in 1965 on the eastern side, it was suggested that a twin be built on the site of the Ballast Office on the western...

08 February 2014

1865 – The Four Courts Hotel, Inns Quay, Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Opened in 1843 as Samuel Steel’s Commercial and Family Hotel. Destroyed by fire in 1864, it was rebuilt by architect E.H. Carson, with later work by Timothy Hevey in 1869....

02 December 2013

1816 – Corn Exchange Building, Burgh Quay, Dublin

Architect: George Halpin The Corn Exchange Building designed by George Halpin in 1815 was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1816 with work commencing soon afterwards. Its granite facade still remains on...

26 November 2013

1932 – Pissoir, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin

One the French style pissoirs imported prior to the 1932 Dublin Eucharistic Congress as part of a ‘clean up Dublin’ campaign. Removed sometime during the 1970s. Supposedly sold by Dublin Corporation to a...

11 September 2013

1852 – Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Former incarnation of the Clarence Hotel, later replaced in the late 1930s. Originally a couple of quayside houses, knocked together and some facade stucco decoration to to form the hotel.

11 March 2013

1870 – The Irish House, Nos.1-2 Wood Quay, Dublin

The Irish House was built in 1870 at the corner of Winetavern Street and Wood Quay in Dublin, and became a popular public house and well-known piece of Celtic Revival architecture. The Irish...

28 February 2013

1820s – Northumberland Hotel (Liberty Hall), Eden Quay, Dublin

Originally built in the 1820s as Northumberland Hotel, with a coffee house and hotel. Later part of the building was converted into a Turkish baths. Eventually purchased in 1912 as a headquarters for...

11 June 2012

1965 – Ormond Printing Company, Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: Built to replace some Georgian houses that were in use as office space for the print works behind, this modernist building was demolished in the late 1990s. The ground floor facade was...