Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin Quays

04 May 2010

1861 – Former Railway Station, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company, which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish Sea, moved its Irish terminus from Dun Laoghaire to North Wall Quay. The...

17 February 2010

1965 – O’Connell Bridge House, D’Olier Street, Dublin

Architect: Desmond Fitzgerald Much hated building on a very important site, O’Connell Bridge House stands 11 storeys high and overlooks O’Connell Bridge. At one time, the advertisement on the facade earned almost as...

05 February 2010

1999 – Morrison Hotel, Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: Douglas Wallace Architects Understated exterior to this trendy Dublin hotel. The interior was styled by John Rocha in various muted shades of brown and cream.

05 February 2010

1989 – Offices, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: Grafton Architects A rare example of good infill architecture on Ormond Quay. A former Presbyterian Church that was destroyed in a fire, leaving only its entrance doorways intact, was redeveloped as an...

05 February 2010

1906 – No.40 Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: William F. Higginbotham Striking former warehouse building designed as a sales and auction house now in use as the Winding Stair bookshop and cafe. The scale of the building is much larger...

05 February 2010

1901 – Former Bank, Ormond Quay, Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Former bank branch with fine 1930s interior. The exterior has a fine bull-nosed corner executed in stone to contrast with the brickwork.

04 February 2010

1920 – Former Screen Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara / Jones & Kelly Originally rebuilt after the 1916 destruction of this part of Dublin, as the Corinthian Cinema, photographs from the 1950s show it encased in neon. It was...

04 February 2010

1921 – Seamens Institute, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: W.M. Mitchell & Sons The Seamens Institute on the corner of Marlborough Street and Eden Quay is another early 20th century building after the area was decimated during the 1916 Rising.

04 February 2010

1921 – Former Astor Cinema, Eden Quay, Dublin

Architect: Frederick W. Higginbotham Replacing two buildings destroyed in the 1916 Rising, Nos. 7-8 Eden Quay was re-constructed as a ballroom and commercial premises. It was later converted into the Astor Cinema. Closed...