Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin theatres

22 December 2013

1880 – Unbuilt Proposal for Theatre Royal, Dublin

Architect: C.J. Phipps Description of proposed new theatre on site of old theatre destroyed by fire. Not built by 1884, eventually a different design by Frank Matchem was constructed. Published in The Building...

11 July 2013

1915 – Coliseum Theatre, Henry St., Dublin

Architect: Bertie Crewe & Francis Bergin This theatre was opened in April 1915 and destroyed in the 1916 Easter Rising. Shown here, in a photograph from the Capuchin Archive after its destruction. Also...

28 February 2013

1909 – Queen’s Theatre, Pearse St., Dublin

Architect: R.J. Stirling Now demolished, but built as a variety theatre in 1844, rebuilt in 1909, and later used by the Abbey Players after the Abbey Theatre was destroyed in a fire in...

16 September 2012

1897 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Frank Matcham The second Theatre Royal on the same Hawkins Street site as the first, opened on December 13, 1897, and was designed by Frank Matcham. It had seating for an audience...

27 March 2012

1904 – Abbey Theatre, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Holloway The Abbey first opened its doors to the public on 27 December 1904 in the former Mechanics’ Hall, also known as the Hibernian Theatre of Varieties. Prior to opening as...

15 December 2011

1935 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Leslie Norton The third Theatre Royal opened on September 23, 1935 in Hawkins Street. Designed by English architect Leslie Norton in conjunction with Dublin firm Scott & Good. It was a large...

14 December 2011

1821 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Samuel Beazley The first of three Theatre Royals on this site. In 1820, theatre impresario Henry Harris bought a site in Hawkins Street and built the 2,000–seater Albany New Theatre on it...

08 April 2010

1966 – Abbey Theatre, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott and Partners The Abbey Theatre was founded in 1904 as the Irish National Theatre Company. After purchasing the Mechanics Institute on Marlborough Street, they refitted it as the Abbey Theatre....

19 February 2010

1871 – Gaiety Theatre, South King Street, Dublin

Architect: Charles Ashworth / C.J. Phipps Recently given a new glass and steel canopy overhanging a much widened footpath on a mainly pedestrianised street, the Gaiety can now be appreciated properly. A fine...

Pages:12Next »