Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

10 October 2013

1920s – Phoenix Park Racecourse, Dublin

Phoenix Park Racecourse was located on the northern edge of the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Founded by J.H.H. Peard, racing began here in 1902, closed for racing in late 1990. The racecourse had...

04 October 2013

1848 – Brown Thomas, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Started in 1848 with a large extension a decade later, and Italianate in style. Gutted in the 1990s for Marks & Spencer, only the facade remains of the warren of...

03 October 2013

1932 – Eucharistic Conference, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John J. Robinson The 31st International Eucharistic Congress, held in Dublin 22–26 June 1932, was one of the largest eucharistic congresses of the 20th century. The final public mass of the congress...

11 September 2013

1887 – Central Hotel, Exchequer St., Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes A Dublin landmark, the Central Hotel was opened in 1887. Extended several times in the early 20th century, it was unusual in Dublin at the time of its construction...

11 September 2013

1852 – Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Former incarnation of the Clarence Hotel, later replaced in the late 1930s. Originally a couple of quayside houses, knocked together and some facade stucco decoration to to form the hotel.

17 August 2013

1919 – No. 13 O’Connell Street Lower, Dublin

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built after the previous branch of the Hibernian Bank was destroyed in the fighting during the 1916 Easter Rising. The previous building was by O’Neill & Byrne and was...

13 August 2013

1856 – Design for Capitals, Museum, Trinity College, Dublin

From The Building News, March 29 1856: “Some mention has been made in our pages recently of the capitals arranged and sculptured by the workmen for the new museum at Trinity College, Dublin....

11 July 2013

1915 – Coliseum Theatre, Henry St., Dublin

Architect: Bertie Crewe & Francis Bergin This theatre was opened in April 1915 and destroyed in the 1916 Easter Rising. Shown here, in a photograph from the Capuchin Archive after its destruction. Also...

02 July 2013

1800 – D’Olier & Westmoreland, Dublin

Where D’Olier and Westmoreland Streets meet the quays and Carlisle Bridge was designed as an important architectural setpiece by the Wide Streets Commissioners. As a high profile location, the buildings were always going...