Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

02 July 2013

1866 – Public Records Office, Four Courts, Dublin

Architect: James H. Owen & E.T. Owen The repository of Irish records that dated from medieval times to 1922. It was used to store ammunition by the Anti-Treaty rebels occupying the Four Courts,...

07 June 2013

1886 – St. Thomas’s Parochial Hall, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Constructed during 1885-86 to complement the adjoining church of 1762 by John Smyth. The church and hall were gutted by fire which destroyed most of the O’Connell Street area...

02 June 2013

1864 – London and Lancashire Fire and Life Insurance, Dublin

Wide Streets Commissioners end of terrace building given a Victorian stucco makeover in the 1860s. Demolished for a new building for the same insurance company in the 1890s.

31 May 2013

1722 – Statue of George I, Essex Bridge, Dublin

Sculptor: John van Nost the Elder Erected on a elevated pedestal on the upstream side of what was then Essex Bridge in 1722. Commissioned in 1717 as “a grateful acknowledgement of the many...

29 May 2013

1862 – Crampton Memorial Fountain, Dublin

Sculptor: John Kirk Sir Philip Crampton’s memorial fountain at Dublin. Crampton was Surgeon-General to the British Army. He was always interested in zoological science and played an active part in founding the Royal...

27 May 2013

1907 – Bohemian Bar, Doyle’s Corner, Phibsborough, Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor George L. O’Connor was the architect responsible for rebuilding of the licensed premises for John Doyle, grocer and wine merchant. Finished in Milverton limestone, Kingscourt facing brick and terracotta,...

21 May 2013

1971 – Texaco House, Ballsbridge, Dublin

Architect: David Keane & Partners One of the earliest use of load-bearing precast concrete perimeter units and glass curtain walling in Dublin. With its dark recessed glazing, the strong geometric forms of the...

06 May 2013

1968 – Former Curzon Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons & Partners Opened as the Curzon Cinema, and later the Lighthouse, the entrance foyer to this cinema was distinctly modern. A converted warehouse, it contained two theatres, and was...

03 May 2013

1953 – Synagogue, Terenure, Dublin

Architect: Wilfrid Cantwell At one time, in the 1950s, there were between 4,000 and 5,000 Jews living in Ireland, most of them in Dublin, using several different synagogues. After this building by Wilfrid...