Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

01 March 2013

1786 – Simpson’s Hospital, Parnell St., Dublin

Architect: Simon Vierpyl Simpson’s Hospital was founded in 1779 under the terms of a Mr George Simpson’s will, a Dublin merchant who left bequests to many charities including funds to establish Simpson’s Hospital....

01 March 2013

1860 – Turkish Baths, Lincoln Place, Dublin

Architect: Richard Barter Definitely one of the more bizarre buildings to have graced Dublin. The main frontage of the Lincoln Place Baths was about 186 feet in length. Separate facilities were provided for...

28 February 2013

1820s – Northumberland Hotel (Liberty Hall), Eden Quay, Dublin

Originally built in the 1820s as Northumberland Hotel, with a coffee house and hotel. Later part of the building was converted into a Turkish baths. Eventually purchased in 1912 as a headquarters for...

28 February 2013

1909 – Queen’s Theatre, Pearse St., Dublin

Architect: R.J. Stirling Now demolished, but built as a variety theatre in 1844, rebuilt in 1909, and later used by the Abbey Players after the Abbey Theatre was destroyed in a fire in...

18 February 2013

1853 – Clery & Co., O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Opened in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart’ opposite the General Post Office. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed...

18 February 2013

1832 – Gresham Hotel, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: George Papworth In 1817 Thomas Gresham purchased 21-22 Sackville Street and commenced business there as a hotel. After starting life as a foundling child, abandoned on the steps of the Royal Exchange...

01 February 2013

2009 – Proposal for AIB Bankcentre, Ballsbridge, Dublin

Architect: Ian Ritchie Architects Developer- driven proposal to demolish part of the Robinson Keefe Devane designed bankcentre and replace it with a range of blocks up to nine storeys in height. The scheme...

01 February 2013

1923 – Cenotaph, Leinster House, Dublin

Sculptor: George Atkinson Former monument on Leinster Lawn, commemorating three of the founding figures of Irish independence, Arthur Griffith, Michael Collins and Kevin O’Higgins. Atkinson was headmaster of the Dublin Metropolitan School of...

31 January 2013

1790s – Unbuilt Wide Streets Commission Approach & Entrance to Dublin Castle

Unbuilt plan by the Wide Streets Commissioners for a new ceremonial entrance to the Lower Yard of Dublin Castle and street to the “round church” – St. Andrew’s. The entrance at the Lower...